Saturday, August 1, 2015

Orientation Week

Hello everyone!! This week I started my first 'class' ....it was really just orientation this week. But it was fun and I have finally begun to be busy! I am one of four mid-years. Yeah, there's not a lot of us! We spent this week getting to know each other.

Monday, all the mid-years arrived for registration in the afternoon. Not much happened except we hung out and everyone else settled in. We had combined house time in the evening so everyone could get to know each other. We played lots of games and it was loud and full of laughter.



Tuesday, we got a tour of the church which was amazing! I don't think I'll get lost but it is very possible. The rest of the day was very chill. That evening we had fitness, every Tuesday and Thursday the YOYL students have fitness. It's not incredibly intense and us girls had fun! After dinner we had flock time. My flock is awesome! We played silent football (which I taught everyone last week) and they love it!! SHOUT OUT TO MY YOUTH GROUP FOR PLAYING THIS GAME! We also played Uno and chatted.


Wednesday, we had devotions in the morning (this is basically a smaller worship session before we begin the day) and then more mid-year orientation. This time we had to answer questions about ourselves like "What's your name? Where do you come from?" and that sort of stuff. After our tea break though, we got into more intense conversation. "When did Jesus become real to you? And what is your coldest/darkest moment?" It was a little intimidating to be sharing this information with people I had just met but I understand that it was good for us to draw closer as a family. The leaders are incredibly encouraging and helpful. Homesickness has started kicking in but it's hard to be sad when I am so excited about the future here. In the afternoon I did laundry. It is a lot different than what I am used to. The washing machine is older but hey, it works. What I am not used to is drying my clothes on a clothes line. I actually kind of like it! No one bothers you while you are busy hanging your clothes up and you are outside enjoying the fresh air...I really think I'll enjoy it! Later that evening, everyone was hanging out in the lounge area and a jam session started. It was amazing! Everyone jumped up and started singing and dancing!!





Thursday, we finished our orientation with bowling! KerryAnn and Daniel our leaders, took us to the Menlyn Mall to bowl. It was fun. By the time we got back it was almost time for chapel. Chapel is another service during the week for the community students and staff at Hatfield...however it is not actually held in the beautiful chapel. It was in the minor auditorium. Anyway, it was great! A Korean missionary team was here and they are all from a music college and so they performed some classical pieces for us and it was beautiful! I was in awe. The pastor's wife came with them and she played a Korean heglum (?) I can't remember the name of it but it was so neat!! They shared their testimony and worshipped some more with us. After Chapel there is community lunch. Then I went to audition for the media department's film they are working on. I was a little nervous but it seems like it will be fun so I auditioned. Auditions went really well too! They gave us a script and then we went in with someone and acted out the scene in front of a green screen. I really enjoyed it and I think this film will turn out great! After that, I had to go back to the house to cook dinner for everyone. My friend, Megan, was my helper. We fixed shredded chicken (with taco seasoning from TX..,thanks Mom!) and pasta and green beans. Then one of the online students who is visiting for the week joined us and made a really delicious cream sauce!




Friday, is cleaning day! We clean our rooms after breakfast and then from about 9-11 we do Plotties. This is like spring cleaning. Everyone is on a certain duty and we rotate on Fridays. So I will be on Kitchen duty from now till next Friday. We cleaned the cupboards and swept and mopped, some people cleaned the bathrooms, other people were working outside, and another team was cleaning out the fridge and cleaning the lounge. After plotties we usually have a community project which is outside work that benefits the village community where we live. But we did not have it!! So we got more time to chill. In the afternoon we have Menlyn Friday, where we go to Menlyn mall in order to get stuff we may need or to just hang out. I got some groceries I needed and then we went to Mugg & Bean for some cheesecake. That's when we saw Miss World!! Rolene Strauss is so sweet! We stopped her and asked for a pic. It was such a neat experience!



All in all, it has been a great week! I'm looking forward to starting LTS next week!

--sea'sadventures--




No comments:

Post a Comment