Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Holiday

My two weeks of holiday have begun!! I am so excited because I am spending it with the Noviskie family. I am so thankful for them!

Monday I went with Chandra to Berakah. I was incredibly excited because this was one of the places we served on our mission trip last year. I got sit in and watch and help one of the classes. The children are adorable and so friendly! Then I helped the littler ones get lunch and I sat with them and they are so cute!! They loved playing peek-a-boo with me and they got snot and pap all over me but it was totally worth it. When we got back we picked the kids up from school and then took them to gymnastics and art. We finished the day with breakfast for dinner!

Tuesday I helped Mike and Chandra sell corn dogs at the kids' school carnival. We were busy all day!! 

Wednesday I got to sleep in a little and then head over to Abba house. Abba house is a safe house for kids who have experienced trauma and are orphaned. The kids are so sweet! I played with them and I also met two German volunteers who are my age. They are serving at Abba house for the next ten months and I really hope to get to know them and hang out with them! Later we celebrated the end of the term for the kiddos with an ice creams from McDonald's. 


Thursday was Heritage Day! So we went to a "parade" at the Union Buildings. There were so many people! A few people were dressed up to represent their heritage and some people were performing songs and dances on a stage. The whole parade part on the street coming in, was not organized at all but all the floats and costumes were incredible! After the parade we went to a place called Roadhouse for milkshakes. This little place was the closest Africa has to a Sonic haha but it was great! It began to rain a little so we came back home. 

Friday I did nothing really until the evening. We went out to Menlyn for dinner and then played ping-pong at the Fun Zone before we went to see a movie. We watched Max which was a very good dog movie. Made me miss my puppy though! While we were playing ping-pong, Charis found a grasshopper and she caught it for her bug project. I volunteered to carry this big bug in my purse. Yes, I carried a live grasshopper in my purse. It was very memorable! 

Saturday I realized that my first week of holiday was just about past! I went with Chandra and Charis to go swimsuit shopping before we went to Kruger. That night, a missionary couple that are friends of the Noviskie's came for dinner. It was so beautiful to listen to their story and their plans to return to Africa. They have been planting churches in the heart of Africa for twenty years and they recently returned to the US but now it is time for them to come back. It was amazing to make another connection with missionaries. 

Sunday I went with Charis to help at C4G (Children 4 God). It was so fun! I really just watched to see how they run their children's service and I helped when I could. Later, Mike set up some American football to watch! That was so nice and made me feel a bit more at home. Then I packed my bags for Kruger!

Monday we drove almost five hours to Kruger National Park. We stopped at the same gas station that we stopped at on the way to Bulembu last year!! It was very neat to see that familiar place. As soon as we got to our cabin, the kids and I swam. Our cabin was amazing though! We were right outside the park and we could see across the Crocodile River! We saw an elephant right outside our window! That night we walked up and down the fence to look/listen for leopards.

African Fish Eagle
Tuesday we went into the park. We spend all day on our game drive looking for wild life. We saw almost everything the first day, except cats. There was a leopard sighting in a tree, but there was so much bush and traffic that it was difficult to see. We saw tons of birds, impala, kudu, rhinos, elephants, zebras, and giraffes. At one point we listened to Christmas music!

Wednesday we went to a place about an hour away for horseback riding! It reminded me of all the times at PK Lake and Red River when our family goes horseback riding. Surprisingly, the terrain was quite similar to New Mexico! However, when we saw kudu in the bush I really realized I was horseback riding in Africa! The owner and her daughter were extremely friendly and kind to us. They showed us around their farm and we got to hear their heart for what they do. We left and had dinner back at the cabin and then went on a night drive in the park. We did not see as much, but we did see two smaller cats and lots more impala.

Thursday was our last day in the park. We went in pretty early and before ten o'clock we saw a leopard and a lion!! Everyone was so excited to have seen the Big 5 on this trip!! The Noviskies told me that they have been going on game drives since they've been here and have never seen a leopard but that day we saw one! Right by the road too!! We were completely satisfied and then we went to a braii-ing spot in the park for lunch. There was a pool that we got to swim in and then we ate and left. On the way out, close to sunset I spotted another leopard in a tree!! We were the only car around and so we got a perfect view of it and we got great pictures. Then as we continued our way out it got completely dark and we saw four lionesses in the road! We rolled our windows up quicker than you could even say "lion" and they walked right past us. It was crazy!! It was a perfect way to end the trip!

Friday we had to leave. We got back to Pretoria around two and chilled for the rest of the day.

Saturday we went to Brooklyn mall and watched Hotel Translyvania 2. It was a very cute movie.

Sunday I slept in through church and did some laundry. I got to talk with my parents and catch up with them and tell them all about my holiday. Later we had pizza for dinner and watched a little more football. Then Mike drove me back to the community house and I settled back in my room. It was so nice to see my friends again and talk about the holiday! Then a few of us girls watched One Night With the King.

It was an absolutely wonderful holiday! I am so so thankful for the Noviskie family and their wonderful hospitality. I am truly blessed with my South African family



--sea'sadventures--

No comments:

Post a Comment