Monday, November 16, 2015

Biblical Worldview/Outreach Week

Well, I realize I am two weeks behind...again! But the past week was quite busy with outreach and so I didn't have time to post about the week before! So let's time travel back to November 2.

Monday we started back up with classes. We came back to Nation Changers/Biblical Worldview. We watched an old movie called "Luther" which was about Martin Luther. It was a very good movie and I enjoyed the re-enactment of the church history. After class I had a normal afternoon. Later I went to Waterglen and it's already decorated for Christmas!! I was so excited!! I LOVE CHRISTMAS! After dinner, we had flock. My flock leader isn't here right now, so another leader, Angie, took care of us. We walked to Grace House and made pancakes (crepes) and took a right/left brain test. I am apparently half and half. We had tons of fun though!

2 A.M. So unfortunately we were on punishment for not doing self-wash for a few weeks. Over the weekend, more self-wash was left and so we ended up having punishment. Guess what that was? Running two laps on the field in the middle of the night. I can't say I enjoyed any bit of it, except I was trying to adjust my attitude. When I looked up, I saw the beautiful night sky, and bright stars. This made my heart happy and reminded me of how beautiful this earth is and I am so thankful God created so many lovely things.

Tuesday most everyone was tired from our night-run, but we persevered. For devotions, we had to write down what we were trusting God for in these last few weeks of the year. Then we began class, watched some more Francis Shaeffer videos. After the tea break we had a guest come and speak to us about restorative justice. I really enjoyed it. The concept is about bringing the criminal and victim together for reconciliation and forgiveness so after the incident, neither party holds on to bitterness. After class I went to Waterglen. Later, Micaela offered to do my nails for the end-year function...and just for fun. The evening was full of lively conversation, indoor games, songs, and fun.

Wednesday we had another guest speaker in class. He discussed end times and how our worldview of that effects the way we live and interact with people. Nothing too exciting happened in the afternoon. After dinner, there was the seeking session which was amazing as usual. It was particularly special because Auntie Pam shared a vision she had for the church. It was quite powerful and inspiring to experience the amazing changes happening here!

Thursday was quite a chill day. Neil talked more about the end times and cleared up misconceptions we might have about Revelation. Then we had chapel and my friend Nomvula "led" worship. It was so awesome to see her step up and sing in front of everyone. It was also a powerful time in worship. I believe there is a season beginning in this church of recognizing all of us are united. All tongues and all nations coming together to worship God. They had us sing in our mother tongue and pray in different languages. Then there was community lunch as usual. And then we had a fun afternoon!

Friday we began the day with cleaning and plotties as usual. I was on garden and Meghan and I sang Christmas songs while we cleaned out the dust bins. It made the work not as gross. For most of the afternoon everyone just chilled and then began to get ready for the end-year function! My friends were fascinated when I curled my hair with a flat iron. It was very entertaining for them. Everyone got ready and looked B-E-A-utiful!! We walked up to the function hall, which was decorated to look like Sophiatown (South Africa circa 1950s). It was incredible! We took pics, had snacks, people performed dances and songs, we ate, and then they cleared the tables for a dance floor! It was an amazing night!!

Saturday I slept in and when I woke up I went outside to enjoy the day. Nothing else happened until the evening and my friends and I went up to the church because they were showing the Cinderella movie. We thought it would be a low-key event so we didn't really dress up, but when we got there lots of people were in dresses. We still had fun!

Sunday was my first time to work tuck shop (basically a concession stand). We loaded up all the goods, took 'em to the area, set up, sold stuff, packed up, went home. It was fun for my first time! In the afternoon, I offered to help Jenny dye her hair. I'd never done it before but it turned out great! That evening we had a meeting about our outreach. I had already packed and I was super excited!

Monday we got up early so we could leave by 7. We got to say bye and load up and head out around 7:30. We went to Mokopane which was roughly two and a half hours away. Once we got there we met up with the pastor. His name is Brother Mike and he did YOYL in 1999 I think. We took him to a few schools just to confirm what time we were supposed to go over the next two days. We got to back into town to shop for groceries for the week. Around 1 we went to a school and did a program. The kids were so sweet and I think they really enjoyed it! As we finished, we prayed for the teachers. On the way out I was high fiving and hugging all the kiddos, I was especially popular because I am white and we were in an area where that is very rare. We went back to the church and settled in to our "community" room where we would chill and eat. That evening I helped Daniel make supper, we fixed Texan steaks that we bought. They were amazing, but not quite Texan. Later, us girls got dropped off and the house we would be staying at. We all slept in the same room, Minx and I shared the bed, and Nonto offered to sleep on the floor. It was incredibly hot, all day and all night. There was no A/C so that made it a little bit uncomfortable, but we did get some sleep because we were all just exhausted.

Tuesday we went to two schools back to back early in the morning. We had a few technical difficulties but everything still worked out. At one of the schools we had extra free time to play with the kids. They were a lot younger and since I don't speak their language it was difficult for me to communicate but they still laughed and smiled at everything I said. We didn't have another school until 1 so I tried to take a nap in the church. The last school for the day was a little difficult. They had just finished writing exams so I think they were ready to go, but we still did our thing and prayed for them. We went back to our "community" chill spot until it was time to head over to Minx's church. Her dad is a pastor at a church in Mokopane so we just set up a time to visit them. They kinda had a special service just for us. They did worship and then introduced us. We did our dramas and dances and talked about the meaning behind them. Each of us gave our testimony and Minx sang two songs. It was so touching to see her do that! Then Daniel preached for a bit and after the service we met everyone and talked. Minx's mom even had food for us! It was a very nice and memorable time.

Wednesday was our last day and we had another early start. We went to a school and they were very lively. I really enjoyed it. Then we went to another in town and it was difficult to get them to pay attention because there were a lot more of them. But before we started I got to chat with some of the kids and they spoke English very well and they were so surprised and intrigued that I was from Texas! On the way out from this school I was bombarded with kids reaching to touch my arm and my hair. I ended up being dragged and tugged around a little bit, but I still put on a smile because I know I might be the only kind white person they meet. Afterwards, Brother Mike took us to get spatlow (I have no idea how to spell it, but it sounds like spot-k-low) this is a South African meal of fries, balogni, cheese, chicken patty, hot dog, cheese, fried egg, and hot sauce, all between a few slices of bread. I could not eat the whole thing. We went back, gathered our things and headed home. We got a nice welcoming and even though we were just gone three days, I missed everyone so so much! I got cleaned up and got to go to the seeking session.

Outreach was an incredible time and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to share God's love with those kiddos!

Thursday we had the day to relax and recover. I slept in and then did my laundry and re-organized my stuff. Then we had chapel and community lunch. After that, Wesley took Ntsako, Meghan, and I to the police station so Ntsako could get some stuff certified. As we were about to leave, an older gentleman began preaching and sharing some interesting stuff. At first I was very guarded and worried he might just be crazy. But in the car we talked about how he is really just unashamed and brave to openly speak as he did. Later we celebrated Ndzaka's birthday! We sang to her and there was even cake! We usually don't have duties on Thursdays, but in order to begin preparing to leave, we had a mini plotties.

Friday we had plotties, but it was a little different since we did most of it the night before. We also had extra time in the room to clean the walls and deep clean like usual. During plotties the pegging game resumed. Ntsako and I tagged people with clothes pins, it was just as hilarious as the first time. Karabo even joined us! It makes the cleaning go by faster and more fun! As we were outside cleaning the freezer, Nomvula had the hose pipe and she was drenching people. For community project, the mid-years cleaned the van that we took to Mokopane. That place was dusty, so there was dirt inside and outside. Later, Meghan and I fixed dinner. We decided to make chicken and veggies and tortillas! It was my first time to ever make homemade tortillas and they turned out ok! Everyone said it was delicious! And later that night a few people from Emmanuel house, Nthando, Angie, and Bandile came over to our room as well as people from other rooms in Potters. We had tons of fun! We played mafia and chatted until late!

Saturday was actually a little boring. I had nothing to do all day. Although later I got to call my parents and Big Joe and Mathile!! It was very nice and I think I spent almost four and a half hours in total talking to those Texans. Jenny had been waiting for me that whole time so we could go sit on the hill and chat. She really is a sweetheart and we had some good conversation.

Sunday YOYL students were honored in the morning service. So we had to wear our YOYL t-shirts. They had us stand up at the end of the service and they prayed for us. We also had communion and prayed for rain again. Nothing else really happened in the afternoon. Then we had the evening service where we were honored again and this time we went to the front to be prayed for. It really hit me that we only have a week left and then a lot of these guys will be moving on and away into God's call on their life. I am really going to miss them when I come back but I am so thankful for the friendships I've made in this time!!

I only have one more week of classes and then Term 2 is finished! This has been an amazing first half of the year of my life!! I can't wait to see what the next half has in store!!

--sea'sadventures--


No comments:

Post a Comment